Friday, March 30, 2012

Avatar: The Last Airbender

I first heard of A:TLA when one of my friends from back home was talking about it. She had said that she liked it, but that was back in the day when I wasn't allowed to do most things, and other things I was too proud to do.
But, when I came to school, one of my friends showed me part of the abridged version.
Which, I have to say, was highly humorous. ^^

But, now I am watching the real thing, for real.
Legend of Korra is being released, and I actually want to be part of this fandom... from the beginning. I like that they empower the female characters... give them some class. Give them some strength. Not make them... well... womanly. ^^

My roommate and I started watching... last week, I think it was.
Then today, after RCA [Role Call Association; our cosplay group on campus] met up to redecorate the display board in the University Center, we got pizza and such and hung out in my dorm room watching it.
We are now on Book Two: Chapter 9, I do believe.

As of now, these are my impressions and/or feelings on the characters:

Aang: he is the main character, and he is a child. He is also entrusted with this awesome power that he doesn't know how to control. Overall, he is a fun character, and the amount of cocky and assertiveness is easily balanced with his child-like carefree and joking attitude.
Katara: she is the responsible, level-head female. Sure, she's got a little bad-assery in her, but for the most part she is the mediator... the calm one. She can defend herself and stand her ground when she is fighting, but overall... not too hardcore.
Sokka: I love him! He is definitely comic relief, but he also has a severe devotion and dedication to friends and family. He's been put in charge of things at a young age, so he tries to be the bold, brave, confident one. I also think he feels left out at times, because he isn't a Bender. But, he doesn't get down about it.
Toph: so. hardcore. She is a definite favorite. XD She is any girl's dream... bold, confident, daring, independent, and her family thinks she is weak, and needs protection. But she isn't. Because she is young, a female and blind, she is considered less than what she is. And she disproves all of that. She is an amazing character, even if she is short-tempered and spoiled.
Zuko: Zuko. Baby. Honey. Come here so I can hold you... My heart breaks for him, poor dear. All he wants to do is win the attention and approval of a father who is never going to give it to him. And he is too proud to ask for help, so he denies his uncle. I can see why he would hate his sister... she is a sadistic little instigator. But I think Zuko needs to step down from his pedestal and away from his father. Either that, or just kill the bloody bastard and take what is rightfully his.
Iroh: Zuko's uncle is the father Zuko should have had... he lost his own son in war, and 'adopted' Zuko as a result of both his loss and Zuko's lacking. His tea and advice are both good for Zuko, but Zuko is too confused and clouded by his father's denial. Iroh simply cares about what happens to his nephew, and goes along with everything he does, allowing Zuko to be independent, but he is always there when he is needed.
Azula: A bitch, but an amazing woman. She is definitely a go-getter. XD She fights for what she wants, and she is a well-crafted character. The younger sibling who is good at everything and shows up the older one, winning daddy's affections... She is bold, confident, and ruthless... I am curious to see how she falls, if she does.
Ty Lee: She is a total badass. All three of these girls are. But she is also very... womanly. XD She accents females in the typical manner, I should say. She is an acrobat, which is legit... and she uses her skills to temporarily paralyze people, making them unable to Bend.
Mai: Always bored. XD I like her... and her fighting style. I don't think she can bend, but she is always shooting and throwing knives, arrows, etc. She is quick and dangerous. all three of these girls are. Although Mai kind of grates on my nerves... she's just so conceited, like she is just too good for everything.
And of course, Appa and Momo and all supporting, one-episode characters... gotta love them all. ^^

It's a well-written show, and I am anxious to see it through to the end; one more thing I need to do. -.-
BUT, I enjoy it, so it's all good. ^^


No comments:

Post a Comment